Progress on Celeste’s stocking has been slow. For a variety of reasons.
Celeste was born on 6/27/2013 at 12:59 a.m.
She is, if I do say so myself, the cutest little bug! They came and stayed with me while David and Jacob were away at Boy Scout Camp last week and she is the best baby! I’m gonna miss having them around.
So, a day or two after she was born, I had an eye appointment. I had to get stronger bifocals for my glasses. I’d been, for the most part recently, been stitching things that were relatively easy with clear boundaries on color changes. But this stocking was getting the better of me. There are a lot of color changes and they aren’t well defined and they were hard to see. So, off I went to my eye doctor, who increased my bifocals and told me to use more moisturizing drops generally but especially before, during and after I stitch. He said that people tend to not blink when they are working on small hand-work which causes the eyes to dry out more which causes it to be harder to see.
I’m actually glad to say that big geeky glasses are “In” these days. I always felt like, when glasses got tiny the last couple of years, that my vision got worse because there was less space for my bifocals. Now, I’ve got big round, fashionably geeky glasses and they have plenty of room for my bifocals.
This is the progress I’ve made on Celeste’s stocking so far:
I’ve already deviated from the stitch guide a bit. I’ve done the bells at the top in brick stitch beading. I’ve done the up and down ones (the first, third and fifth ones left to right) but haven’t decided whether to turn the canvas on the second and fourth ones since those bells appear to be turned. I’ve also deviated from the stitch guide on the blue background; I decided to do it in basket weave. I’m stitching over the stars and going to add those back with sequins and beads.
The blue background is in Pepper Pot Silk. And I’ve got to say it is scrumptious to stitch with. It covers well, even over the gold and white of the stars, in basketweave and is as smooth as butter. This canvas is 18 hpi.
If you’ll en-biggen the picture, you’ll see what I’ve got done on the ribbon on the left hand side. That ribbon is going to look almost real when I get finished with it.